Thursday, September 25, 2008

Happy 60th, Bonnie!

Jessica and Bonnie with Jackson

I wanted to take a second to wish someone a Happy Birthday! Someone very special to me celebrated her 60th birthday this week.

Bonnie Jones, along with her husband Rodney and their daughters Amy and Jessica, have been great friends to my family since I was young. The Jones’ and the Symmes’ have shared so much over the years.

In honor of Bonnie’s birthday, I would like to share a story of something that Bonnie did for me that will stay with me forever.

A day after my Dad passed away, Bonnie and Rodney stopped by to see my family. While visiting, Bonnie handed me a letter and told me to read it when I had some time alone. Of course, I read it immediately.

The letter told me of a theory that once our loved ones pass, they send “pennies from heaven” to us to let us know they are still with us. Inside my letter was a penny that Bonnie found at the hospital while she sat with my family when we lost my Dad. She told me that she knew my Dad would want me to have the penny. That penny sits on my night stand next to a childhood picture of my Dad and me. I will always treasure it.

Since then, I have found more pennies than ever before. Some come at times when I’m sad; some come at happy times when I know my Dad would be celebrating with me. It shows me that my Dad is always by my side.

A few weeks ago, I was having a hard time knowing that my Dad was not here to celebrate my niece’s 9th birthday with us. I was at the store buying a gift bag for her gift. I looked down and there was a penny. I picked it up. I knew then that Dad was celebrating too. I shared Bonnie's theory with my neice and gave the penny to her to keep.

Bonnie,

Thank you for this special gift. I can’t thank you enough for passing on the penny from the hospital. It truly has helped me see that Dad is always with me.

I hope your birthday is special. You deserve it!

Love you,
Kristen

No comments: